I have been pulling out some of the older movies from my childhood and watching them with my daughter. As we watch them I have noticed more and more that these movies are not really suited for children. Their filled with kidnap, death, things under the bed, smoking infants and just plain weird and scary. Now the list has no order but the older movies first and following up till now.
1-> Little Monsters- I pulled out this gem and we watched it and let me tell you I had forgot all the weird and scary monsters that were in it. It freaked my daughter out and asked a friend at work about this movie and he said it scared him so bad that he jumped from the door frame at the door to his room all the way to his bed before he went to bed. This was to avoid the monsters that were going to grab him by the legs and drag him under. Kinda like Fred Savage but scarier and more traumatizing to a child.
2-> Bambi- I went to see this in theaters and let me tell you it was hard to see at the very start of the movie his mother gets killed. I went home and hugged my mom for at least a few hours. If you are old enough to know whats going on this movie is like a punch to the stomach.
3-> Dumbo- Now I can tell you this movie has a lot of flaws. One they incarcerate the mother and they play that baby be mine song and to this day I lose it and at the very least shed a tear or two and want a mom hug. Also the crows are very raciest and do not help the fact that there are faceless men singing about not learning to read or write. This is a classic but needs an update to be more modern. I know that is not possible but it would help with the future questions from my daughter. LOL.
4-> Who Framed Roger Rabbit- I love this movie now even more than when I was a child. Although it is an awesome movie in my opinion it has a few sketchy moments like a smoking baby who cries when he loses his stogie. Not the best message to send to children and then there is the death of Doc and if you know who I am talking about when I say Doc your an 80's baby for sure. When he falls into the dip it really is a gross death and I feel to graphic for a child.
5&6-> Old Yeller & Where the Red Fern Grows- Both movies are quality family movies but both have a major drawback. In both movies the dogs that you grow to love and want to have yourself die and it is just heartbreaking. I mean considering that old yeller gets put down by his owner and best friend Arliss. Where the red fern grows is no better the name of the story is the plants that grows on the dogs graves. I mean really why all the dog death Disney.
7-> The Labyrinth- Watching this movie now I can see David Bowie not the best villan. Not scary and just plain weird. He steals a baby boy Jennifer Connelly's baby brother and holds him hostage and unless she finds her way through the labyrinth in time and defeat him David Bowie plans to turn him into a monster. It really is just a very strange movie.
8-> The Witches- My wife likes this movie and I just think it is weird. I can not get past the main witch character in which form. I mean wow as a child I think this would be something to fear and as far as I can tell from the movie they eat kids or something. Not a very good kids movie although it has good values like be confident and don't talk to strangers things like that it still creeps me out.
9-> The Lion King- I don't need to say it but in the first five minutes Simba's dad Mufasa gets trampled buy a stamped after being dropped by Scar, Mufasa's brother. Then after finding out Simba is still alive Scar sends a hit squad after him. Well it's not quiet that blunt but you know whats going on.
10-> Any Spongebob Movie Ever- The erotic undertones homosexual in nature or not are not needed in any children's movies. I have noticed that newer kids movies try to make it so that adults get a kick out of it to so they hide little sexual undertones or sayings or they try to make the main characters get into more adult situations. I know when I go to see a kids movie that I am going to see a kids movie and it is not supposed to have adult humor hidden in it to keep a parent entertained. I believe that good family values and strong educational aspects are more important than hidden messages that will make me laugh but later on when my child repeats it to me or another adult its not so funny and your trying to think of another word or saying that rhymes with it so you can try to play it off.
I like all movies and have watched the most recent of the Spongebob movies myself and I think it is funny. I just am starting to think twice about what my daughter watches due to the fact that she now repeats everything she hears and will try to sound out every word as well. I have a tendency to use questionable language sometimes but I have been trying to use it less and less especially around my daughter. She is like learning so fast and I want her to grow up watching movies with better values than I did. I think it will help her grow up more well rounded. I will still watch the funny movies with her but I will be more aware of what she is watching and the values she is learning. Thanks for reading and have a great day.
1-> Little Monsters- I pulled out this gem and we watched it and let me tell you I had forgot all the weird and scary monsters that were in it. It freaked my daughter out and asked a friend at work about this movie and he said it scared him so bad that he jumped from the door frame at the door to his room all the way to his bed before he went to bed. This was to avoid the monsters that were going to grab him by the legs and drag him under. Kinda like Fred Savage but scarier and more traumatizing to a child.
2-> Bambi- I went to see this in theaters and let me tell you it was hard to see at the very start of the movie his mother gets killed. I went home and hugged my mom for at least a few hours. If you are old enough to know whats going on this movie is like a punch to the stomach.
4-> Who Framed Roger Rabbit- I love this movie now even more than when I was a child. Although it is an awesome movie in my opinion it has a few sketchy moments like a smoking baby who cries when he loses his stogie. Not the best message to send to children and then there is the death of Doc and if you know who I am talking about when I say Doc your an 80's baby for sure. When he falls into the dip it really is a gross death and I feel to graphic for a child.
5&6-> Old Yeller & Where the Red Fern Grows- Both movies are quality family movies but both have a major drawback. In both movies the dogs that you grow to love and want to have yourself die and it is just heartbreaking. I mean considering that old yeller gets put down by his owner and best friend Arliss. Where the red fern grows is no better the name of the story is the plants that grows on the dogs graves. I mean really why all the dog death Disney.
7-> The Labyrinth- Watching this movie now I can see David Bowie not the best villan. Not scary and just plain weird. He steals a baby boy Jennifer Connelly's baby brother and holds him hostage and unless she finds her way through the labyrinth in time and defeat him David Bowie plans to turn him into a monster. It really is just a very strange movie.
8-> The Witches- My wife likes this movie and I just think it is weird. I can not get past the main witch character in which form. I mean wow as a child I think this would be something to fear and as far as I can tell from the movie they eat kids or something. Not a very good kids movie although it has good values like be confident and don't talk to strangers things like that it still creeps me out.
9-> The Lion King- I don't need to say it but in the first five minutes Simba's dad Mufasa gets trampled buy a stamped after being dropped by Scar, Mufasa's brother. Then after finding out Simba is still alive Scar sends a hit squad after him. Well it's not quiet that blunt but you know whats going on.
10-> Any Spongebob Movie Ever- The erotic undertones homosexual in nature or not are not needed in any children's movies. I have noticed that newer kids movies try to make it so that adults get a kick out of it to so they hide little sexual undertones or sayings or they try to make the main characters get into more adult situations. I know when I go to see a kids movie that I am going to see a kids movie and it is not supposed to have adult humor hidden in it to keep a parent entertained. I believe that good family values and strong educational aspects are more important than hidden messages that will make me laugh but later on when my child repeats it to me or another adult its not so funny and your trying to think of another word or saying that rhymes with it so you can try to play it off.
I like all movies and have watched the most recent of the Spongebob movies myself and I think it is funny. I just am starting to think twice about what my daughter watches due to the fact that she now repeats everything she hears and will try to sound out every word as well. I have a tendency to use questionable language sometimes but I have been trying to use it less and less especially around my daughter. She is like learning so fast and I want her to grow up watching movies with better values than I did. I think it will help her grow up more well rounded. I will still watch the funny movies with her but I will be more aware of what she is watching and the values she is learning. Thanks for reading and have a great day.






No comments:
Post a Comment